Wednesday, July 25, 2012

'So You Think You Can Dance' Recap: Two More Dancers Go Home In Season 9 ... - Huffington Post (blog)

Note: Do not read on if you have not seen the July 25 episode of Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance."

This week's comments, questions and concerns come without any technical dance knowledge and no actual dance skills ... just straight up love for "So You Think You Can Dance."

Guest Judge: Christina Applegate

This week was better than last week, but not as good as the first. We finally got some standing ovations, a routine I want to watch on repeat and of course, two more dancers were eliminated. Amber, Lindsay and Eliana were the bottom three girls and George, Brandon and Dareian rounded out the bottom six. With the new format, the judges pick and choose who will dance for their lives at the end of the show, before announcing who they will save. Amber, Eliana, Brandon and Dareian were asked to perform, making it obvious that Lindsay and George were safe. After the solos, Nigel announced that Amber and Brandon would be going home, ending their time on "So You Think You Can Dance."

Here are some of the partner dance highlights.

Tiffany & George
"Out Of My Mind" by C.o.C. Feat. Nicki Minaj
On paper, this routine should have been a home run. NappyTabs, "Adventures in Babysitting" inspired and Nicki Minaj. Unfortunately, I didn't really connect with it. I was hoping they would be jumping off the brightly colored dresser or wind up in the neon crib, but sadly no. It was a little off the mark and a little underwhelming.

Amber & Brandon
"Dr. Feelgood (Love Is Serious Business)" by: Aretha Franklin
Christina said it perfectly, "I feel like none of us should be here watching you. Like, that was so private." Agreed, this sexy jazz routine -- which reminded me, Cat and probably most of you, of Sasha and Twitch's "Misty Blue" performance -- was pretty sensual. Maybe it was the lingerie costume Amber was wearing, or Brandon's plunging neckline, I don't really know, but I sort of felt like I was watching the beginning of something I shouldn't be.

Janelle & Dareian
"Call Me Maybe" by: Carly Rae Jepsen
All the points are awarded to Pasha tonight, for his oh-so-wise song choice. The Cha Cha doesn't necessarily blow my skirt up and quite honestly, if it weren't for this song, I probably would have gotten up to get a drink or switched my laundry. The dance was a little boring to me and seemed a bit forced.

Lindsay & Cole
"Wild Horses" by: Charlotee Martin
Mandy Moore is quickly becoming one of my favorite choreographers. This routine was absolutely beautiful -- I only wish I could have seen it in person. The judges made mention that the lighting created these giant shadows that didn't quite translate to the TV audience. I got goosebumps a few times during the routine and for someone who loves to watch dance but doesn't have any technical knowledge, goosebumps are usually the good/really good gauge.

Amelia & Will
"You!" by: The Creatures
I really liked this dance ... a lot and I have absolutely no idea why. The song was a little odd, but I'll download it. The choreography was a little quirky, but it worked. This pair doesn't really match, but they go perfectly together -- are you picking up what I'm putting down? Essentially, what I'm trying to say here is: Amelia & Will are (I think) turning into one of my favorite couples and no one is more surprised by that than I am.

Audrey & Matthew
"Cinco Salsa" by: Scerre Indris Joner/HSC/Kork
Can we pause for a moment and say, these two are so super adorable. That being said, this dance wasn't that great. Nigel made an analogy I can relate to, saying a salsa should be a "cocktail mixer of sex and energy and fun and this felt like a margarita mixer on quarter speed."

Witney & Chehon
"I Will Always Love You" by: Whitney Houston
Finally, finally, finally! This dance is exactly what I have been wishing, hoping and waiting for. A Season 9 routine (hopefully one of many) that will go down in the "SYTYCD" history books as a "watch it on repeat" routine. (Disclaimer: I rewound it and rewatched it twice while writing this recap.) No words I type will do this one justice. You'll need to experience it all on your own. One super awesome highlight: that moment in the song when the music pauses before Whitney hits the big "and I" note involves a running, jump lift thing. Breathtaking. Let that marinate while your YouTube video loads.

Eliana & Cyrus
"Toxic" by: District 78 feat. Cheesa
There is something about this season ... it's so full of dark and twisty dances and I like it. This NappyTabs masterpiece was obviously made for these two -- a ballerina and a robot, hello -- so much so that I can't even explain why I like it. There was almost no chance, aside from them laying down and not dancing, that I wouldn't like this routine.

Comment: Christina Applegate was the most coherent and valuable celebrity guest judge they've had all season. Do you agree?

Question: This early on, who do you think are the favorites to win? (My thoughts at this time are Witney and Chehon)

Concern: I'm having a hard time adjusting to this one show a week format. There is too much jammed into one. I feel rushed. Do you guys think this will last?

Follow Katelyn Mullen on Twitter: www.twitter.com/kmull19

No comments:

Post a Comment