Friday, September 7, 2012

Psy Still Can't Believe His Big Night At 2012 VMAs - MTV.com

The MTV VMAs are many things: entertaining, action-packed and known to showcase and introduce our favorite and future music superstars. Case in point, the VMA debut of Korean viral video phenomenon Psy.

Psy was a surprise guest at Thursday's main event, brought onstage by host Kevin Hart to talk briefly about his "Gangnam Style" video, which has more than 100 million views on YouTube. The two shared in a brief back-and-forth conversation that ended with Hart trying to emulate the Korean phenom's signature dance moves from the video.

MTV News was there the moment Psy came offstage, and we spoke with the man about his stage experience, his recent success and his new deal with Justin Bieber's manager, Scooter Braun.

"I cannot believe what's going on," Psy said when asked about the success of his video and his road to the VMAs. "The increase [in people knowing who I am] is incredible. I did not expect things like this. I just made a video in Korea and uploaded it and within 50 days, I'm here now."

Check out backstage photos you didn't see from 2012 VMAs!

And it seems as though he's not going anywhere but onward and upward anytime soon. In speaking about being signed by Braun, Psy seemed to still be in disbelief about it.

"What I heard from Scooter is that he saw my video and said to his C.O.O., 'Oh, find him, I want to sign him.' Scooter found my video seven days after its release," Psy recalled, adding that he'll be spending some more time in the U.S. introducing himself to various companies and individuals before going into the recording studio.

"I'm here to promote myself, not the music video," he said. "Myself [first] and then I'm going to do some work with Scooter."

So what can we expect from Psy's upcoming album? Pop songs in Korean and English?

"I can do both, so maybe some [in] English," he said.

We then asked Psy if Braun had set him up with any producers or if he planned on enlisting any help from industry insiders in Braun's camp.

"Actually, I'm composing and producing it myself, so I don't need anyone," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment